This week, temperatures are forecast to be in the high 80s, possibly even higher in some parts of King County.
Due to rising temperatures we will be activating additional indoor daytime cooling spaces in partnership with our municipal and provider partners from Wednesday, August 17th through Friday, August 19th in addition to making cooling supplies available to service providers across the county.
Below you will find locations and hours of operation across the county for cooling spaces.
King County Metro Statement:
King County Metro has directed operators to provide any customer a trip who is seeking respite from the heat and/or would like a ride to a cooling center.
“Metro is not waiving fares during the heat wave. However, we never make fares a barrier to people in safety situations.”
Seattle Day Centers: The following are Seattle day centers for people experiencing homelessness. These day centers remain open on their regular schedule unless noted otherwise.
- The Salvation Army
- Jefferson Day Center (4th & Jefferson), Every Day, 7:00am – 5:00pm
- White Center Community Center
- Seattle Indian Center Day Center (624 S. Dearborn Street), Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm
- Compass Day Center (77 S Washington St.), Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 7:00pm
- Elizabeth Gregory Home (1604 NE 50th St.), Sunday – Friday, 9:00am – 4:30pm, women only
- Immanuel Community Services (1215 Thomas St.), Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 2:00pm
- Orion Center (1828 Yale Ave),Monday-Friday 9am-8pm (except Wednesday CLOSED from 12:45pm-3pm) / Saturday 10am-2pm youth only (ages 12 to 24)
- UDYC (4516 15th Ave. NE) Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 8am-4pm / Wednesday 8am-1pm / Sunday 9am-1pm youth only (ages 12 to 24)
- S. Seattle 24 hours (except Wednesday CLOSED from 12:45pm-3pm) youth only (ages 12 to 24)
- Mary’s Place Day Center (1830 Ninth Ave), Monday – Friday from 7:00am – 3:30pm; women or women with children only
- Urban Rest Stops
- Ballard (2014-B NW 57th St), Monday – Friday, 6:30am – 2:30pm
- Downtown (1924 Ninth Avenue), Monday – Friday from 5:30pm – 9:30pm and Saturday – Sunday from 8:00am – 3:00pm
- Chief Seattle Club Day Center (410 2nd Ave. Ext S.), Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 2:00pm
- Aurora Commons (8914 Aurora Ave N.), Monday – Thursday, 10:00am – 1:00pm
- Bread of Life Mission (97 South Main St.), Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 3:00pm
- Immanuel Lutheran (1215 Thomas St.), Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 2:00pm
- Street Youth Ministries (4540 15th Ave NE, Monday – Tuesday, 10:00am – 3:00pm, Wednesday – Friday, 10:30am – 2:30pm
- New Horizons Ministries (2709 3rd Ave), Monday – Thursay, 3:00pm – 9:00pm Youth/Young-Adult Only (13-25)
East King County
- Congregations for the Homeless – Day Center (Male-identifying) Lincoln Center 515B 116th Ave NE Suite 174 Bellevue, WA 98004, 5AM – 10PM
- Catholic Community Services – New Bethlehem Day Center (Families with Children) 11920 NE 80th St Suite 100, Kirkland, WA 98033, 9AM – 4PM
- The Sophia Way – Sophia’s Place Day Center (Women-identifying) 3032 Bellevue Way NE Bellevue, WA 98004, 8AM – 3PM
- Friends of Youth (16101 NE 87th ST Suite 110, Redmond), for youth and young adults, 206-236-5437
Cooling Sites: The following community buildings have space available for cooling off:
- South Bellevue Community Center (14509 SE Newport Way, Bellevue, WA 98006) 6AM-8PM (W,Th) 6AM-7PM (F)
- Crossroads Community Center (16000 NE 10th St, Bellevue, WA 98008) 8:30AM-5PM (M-F)
- Highland Community Center (14224 Bel-Red Rd, Bellevue, WA 98007) 9AM-4PM (M-F)
North Bellevue Community Center (4063 148th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA 98007) 9AM-8:30PM (M-Th) 9AM-5:30PM (F)
- Redmond Community Center at Marymoor Village (6505 176th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052) 8AM – 8PM (M-F)
- Issaquah Senior Center 75 NE Creek Way, Issaquah WA 8:30AM – 4PM (W/Th) 8:30AM- 2PM (F)
- North Kirkland Community Center ( 12421 103rd Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98034) 8AM-5PM (M-F)
Peter Kirk Community Center (352 Kirkland Ave, Kirkland, WA 98033) 9AM-5PM (M-F)
8:30AM – 4PM (W/Th) 8:30AM- 2PM
Emergency Shelters with Drop-in:
- Bellevue: Congregations for the Homeless (515B 116th Ave NE, Bellevue), for adult men, 425-496-4885, closest bus route is the 271
- Kirkland: The Sophia Way, two locations, Helen’s Place (8045 120th Ave NE, Suite 200, Kirkland) and Sophia’s Place (3030 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue), women or women with children only, 425-896-7385, closest bus routes are the 239 and 250
- Kirkland: New Bethlehem Place (8045 120th Ave NE, Suite 100, Kirkland), for families with children, 425-679-0354
South King County
- Catholic Community Services
- Auburn Food Bank, Ray of Hope (2806 Auburn Way North) 8:00AM to 8:00 PM
- Auburn Resources
Federal Way: FUSION Federal Way (1505 S 328th Street, Federal Way, WA 98003), 10AM-6PM. Adults with minor dependents only.
- SeaTac Community Center (13735 24th Ave So SeaTac, WA 98168), 10AM – 9PM
Emergency Shelters with Drop-in:
- Auburn: Sundown Overnight Shelter (2806 Auburn Way N., Auburn), open 9:00pm nightly, Dec. 25-Jan. 2, call 253-334-4860 or 253-397-0571, closest bus route is the 271
- Auburn: Arcadia Young Adult Shelter (932 Auburn Way S., Auburn), for youth and young adults, extended hours for daytime drop-in, overnght shelter open at 9:00pm, 253-740-7189
- Kent: Kent HOPE (9909 Canyon Dr., Kent), for women or women with children, between 8:00am-4:00pm call 206-200-8610, after hours call the King County Family Intake Line at 206-245-1026, closest bus route is the 160/168 along Canyon Rd/E Smith St
7824 Center Blvd SE in Snoqualmie, 425-888-1223
Hours: (Th) 10AM-5PM (T/W) 1PM-8PM
35018 SE Ridge St on Snoqualmie Ridge, 425-256-3115
Anyone wishing to go past the lobby area must be 16+ and have photo ID. Local youth using the facility alone during daily teen hours must be 14.
Note: We will continue to provide updates as the agency secures more locations.
More places to beat the heat.
Local malls (The Outlet Collection in Auburn, Westfield Southcenter Mall in Tukwila, Northgate Station in Seattle), libraries, and movie theaters are all good places to cool off.King County Library System Most libraries will be open and can be used as cooling shelters. Check for locations and times.